Time flies when you move into a new home or commercial building, especially when it’s a new build. Before you’ve finally unpacked all of the boxes, you’ve reached the end of your one-year builder warranty. No big deal, right? Wrong.
You may think because the building is new, there won’t be any problems. Think again. Here are common defects we find during the 11-month warranty inspection:
- Improper roof vent installation
- Missing insulation
- Leaking plumbing
- Minor cracks in the stucco
- Cabinet damage
- Appliance damage
- Loose toilets
- Missing grout
- Cracked/damaged shingles
Just to name a few…
Any one of these defects can be quite costly if ignored. Invest in an inspection now, or pay a lot more for the repairs later.
If you wait until after the one-year mark, any builder defects become your responsibility. Don’t wait. Schedule a professional builder’s warranty inspection by the 11-month mark, so you have enough time to schedule any necessary repairs when it’s on the builder’s dime, not yours.
What happens during a warranty inspection?
Our comprehensive home or commercial inspection service discovers any defects that were not spotted before you moved in or that happened during your first year. Remember, if it happens during the first year, your property is still under warranty and the builder is responsible for any repairs.
What we look for during the builder’s warranty inspection
- Examine doors, windows, and other penetrations for proper paint/caulk
- Ensure that the weep holes are open
- Make sure paint is properly applied
- Check for any window damage and proper installation
- Make sure there are no gaps/cracks for pests to enter
- Check electrical equipment/outlets and plumbing fixtures
- Check the driveway and walkways
- Check garage functionality
- Check for damaged walls/ceilings and water staining
- Ensure the water heater is properly installed
- Check the Air Handler for proper installation and leaks
- Inspect walls, windows, outlets, floors, and ceilings for damage
- Inspect appliances and cabinets for damage and functionality
- Check the light and fans switches in every room
Bathrooms & Kitchens
- Make sure tub drains properly
- Check hot water functionality on all fixtures
- Check for leaks under sinks
- Make sure toilets are secure and run properly
- Check bathroom fans/vents
- Check tiles /grout for cracks/damage
- Ensure all registers blow cold air when the A/C is on and hot air when the heater is on
- Check for damage at the A/C unit(s)
- Check panel covers and electrical wiring
- Exercise all breakers, GFCIs, and AFCIs
- Check proper water pressure in all sinks/faucets
- Check for cold/hot water
- Check for leaks at visible plumbing areas
Foundation & Drainage
Usually the foundation isn’t a concern on new construction homes or buildings, but grading and moisture can lead to future problems. Make sure grading is sloped away from the structure and check for signs of flooding/ponding.
Schedule a new home or commercial property warranty inspection with us
At Assured Home Inspectors, we provide a fast, thorough, honest, and affordable builder’s warranty inspection. So you can act fast on any necessary repairs, we offer a 24-hour turnaround time and a detailed evaluation for you to pass on to your builder/s.
Don’t be caught off guard by costly repairs caused by builder defects. Schedule your warranty inspection at the 11-month mark with us.